Here at Sam McCauleys we believe in supporting our customers to Take Control of their Health, and our pharmacists are always on hand to offer confidential advice, no matter what questions our customers may have.
So we are really excited to be teaming up with Irish tanning brand TanOrganic, for two cancer awareness campaigns. During June & July, both ourselves and TanOrganic will donate 50c each to cancer research in Ireland for each bottle of TanOrganic sold in our stores and in our online store www.sammccauley.com.
We’re also delighted to let you know that on Friday 17th July, we’re holding a Charity Awareness Event promoting Sun Smart and Safe Tanning in our Redmond Square Wexford store. Guest speaker will be blogger Eimear Coghlan (aheadwithstyle.com), who was diagnosed with Stage 3B Grade 3 invasive breast cancer in 2014. Since then Eimear has rocked chemo with style, and her blog sets out to help others going through the same thing by encouraging and inspiring.
The Marie Keating Foundation Mobile Unit will also be in the car park of our Redmond Square store from 11am – 3pm, and customers will be able to drop in for free advice and to speak to one of the foundations nurses. They’ll be on hand to educate about skin cancer as part of their #sunsmartcampaign and customers will be able to pop in to have their skin checked.
The event is starting at 12pm, and refreshments will be provided – everyone’s welcome. so we hope to see loads of you there!
The exact cause of breast cancer is unknown, but there are risk factors which can increase your chance of developing the disease. There are various lifestyle changes that you can make to reduce your risk of breast cancer, including the following:
- Be a healthy weight
- Be physically active for at least 30 minutes every day
- Avoid processed foods high in added sugar or salt, low in fibre, or high in fat
- Eat more of a variety of vegetables, fruits, wholegrains and pulses, such as beans
- Limit consumption of red meats (such as beef, port and lamb) and avoid processed meats
- Limit alcoholic drinks to 2 for men and 1 for women a day
- Don’t smoke. It is important to note that smoking causes 30% of all cancers
- Breastfeed your baby. The longer a woman breastfeeds her baby, the more she reduces her breast cancer risk